Thursday, April 17, 2008

Memphis USCIS - What a Joke

I'm glad this blog is private because I am now going to RANT over what a worthless system we have for processing adoption petitions. Ok, so that's a big statement. However, I recently sent an email to the Memphis USCIS who is processing our I171H. We were fingerprinted on March 14. We were told current processing times in Memphis are eight (8) weeks. So... I've been checking the site by entering my tracking number and I continue to get the message that my application can't be found.

So, I decided to send an email. I sent the following:

Greetings!I know you are busy and will keep my request brief. I continue to check online as to the status of our I171H and continue to get a message that we cannot be found in the system. I am following up to see if we actually are in the system and are in process.

We are also interested in finding out how to change the order of the petitioner. My husband was listed as the primary petitioner and I will be traveling back for the second trip to pick up our daughter without him. Is there a way to have our I171H list me as the primary petitioner – without causing a delay in receiving our I171H? We anticipate a referral within the next two – three weeks which is why we are following up on this.

THANK YOU so much for all you are doing!


After giving them our identifying information I just knew I'd get some relevant information back. Here is the email I got from them:

The numbers are still locally generated and therefore not available on line.
Your application is in our office and will be processed as soon as our workload allows.

Thank you,
MEM Adoption Unit


HAHAHAHA -- what does this mean? I think it was a kind way of saying, "Hurry up and wait; we'll get to you when we get to you." They didn't even ADDRESS the issue of changing the primary petitioner. ARGHHH. "As soon as our workload allows" ???? when is that?

I love my government. They are so efficient.

The date we are due to get it is May 9. I suppose I have nothing to do but wait -- something I'm getting REALLY good at!

Hrrrmmpppfff!

1 comment:

Ivy Lee said...

Maria,

We had a similar fiasco with our CIS office in San Francisco. It's a long story so I will spare you. Most of it is on our blog. Just know that I totally understand the frustration.

By the way, did you know that the USCIS celebrates "Customer Service Week"? What a joke.

Ivy