Monday, June 2, 2008

"It's probably her new formula"

This morning we received a call from Aliya, our interpreter, who told us that Ludmilla, our coordinator, had talked with the orphanage director about our concerns about Ellie from Sunday. Tatiana indicated that they had indeed changed Ellie's formula to the kind we brought and that because of it, she didn't need to take as much. She was at 90 ml (about 3 oz) every three hours. We were told that with this formula, initially, she won't need as much. I'm wondering exactly what she was on before.

Based on some reading that indicates a good rule of thumb is 2.5 ounces per baby's weight, E. would need about 16 ounces a day. So, she probably was getting about 24 ounces a day, but likely not full strength formula. Based on her age, though, this was about right.

I was told not to worry that she would be fine. I hope when we visit tomorrow we will find that her upset tummy is soothing and she is adjusting better to her new formula.

3 comments:

Betsy said...

I'm glad you got some good answers about Ellie's tummy. Hope your next visit is great and that she continues to thrive now that she has better formula!

Margaret and Tom said...

Hi Maria,
I hope Ellie's formula is going better. Make sure they are mixing this new kind correctly too, I think the ratio is different with some of the formulas they have over there compared to American formulas from what I read on the cans while we were there with Aliya's help. Take care, I'm sure she will be better soon. :) Margaret

Hilary Marquis said...

Glad to hear that it is only the formula :) I'm sure this is probably richer than what she's been used to. She is such a little beauty. Thanks for keeping us all updated!