Thursday, June 5, 2008

Prayers Needed

This is the hardest post I may have to write.

Our family has been dealt a devastating blow today and we request your prayers. We received test results today indicating the baby we had planned to adopt, our Ellie, has a medical issue that as a family we do not feel prepared to handle. We do not feel it is appropriate to expound more on that as it is her personal story and truly not ours to share. However, what is ours to share is the pain and loss we are feeling as we have decided that we are unable to accept the referral of this beautiful baby. We ask that you are supportive should you choose to leave a comment as we are not emotionally up to defending our decision at this point. We are emotionally not up to much. All three of us have sobbed and held one another through this grief that has felt immensely like a death. It is a death -- the death of the dream of our life with this precious child.

We did not make this decision lightly. We have considered our lives as a family and her life and how the two would inter-relate and have determined that we are just not able to parent her in the way she will require. We are broken.

In this brokenness, however, we are held up and together by the God who met us in that room with the test results. He was with me in the car on the way there as I prayed to be able to accept anything they might find. He has held us when we cried. I spent the afternoon reading the Bring the Rain blog and sobbing with her loss and her worship of God through it all. God reminded me through the one hour drive back from the orphanage of the verse He shared with the me other day today: Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths. I have searched for His purpose in this and have found that the "missionary work" our family might have been called to do during this two week period was to love on a sick little girl. I read, again on the Bring the Rain blog of her realization that Either You Do or You Don't (trust in God). God talked to me about this on our trip back today and through tears I admitted I do. I will trust Him. It is my choice. Does it make our pain less -- no, not really, but it does help me accept something I can't understand at all. It doesn't mean I don't question, "Why?". I surely do. It means that no matter what the answer to that question, I have to believe in His authority and superiority in making decisions for our lives.

We are in constant prayer for this little one -- that she gets the medical treatment she needs and hopefully finds a family who is more equipped to handle her needs.

Our agency is in the process of searching for another referral for us. We are unsure when this will happen. We do know that we will travel home as scheduled on Sunday. This has been especially hard on Josh. How do you explain this to a ten-year-old who was in love with a baby that should have been his sister? Life lessons like this one shouldn't have to be learned so early.

We appreciate your support of us at this time. We covet your prayers and understanding if we are a bit withdrawn for a while. We need just a little time to grieve.

19 comments:

AnnLptcga said...

We love you and are praying for you!
Ann & Mike

Anonymous said...

We are praying for you all also!

Love,
Steve & Angie

Allison said...

Many prayers and hugs heading your way.

Betsy said...

Praying and crying out to God for your whole family and for precious baby Ellie.

I know that He is mighty enough to heal your heart, carry your grief and your burden...

Hilary Marquis said...

Maria,

I cannot imagine how devastated you must be. For once, I don't have the words to express how sorry I am. Please know that we are praying for all of you and for the baby's health and future care. If I can do anything just call, you have my numbers and so does Elizabeth.

Hilary

Anonymous said...

Maria, I am so sorry for your loss and I am praying for you, Kevin and Josh as you prepare to come home.

Margaret and Tom said...

Maria, I am in tears tonight and also such pain as I read this entry. I can't imagine the tears and pain you and your husband and dear Josh are going through right now. No words can express my feelings at this time except to tell you my heart is aching for you. Please know my thoughts, support and prayers are with you and your family and please let me know if there is anything I can do.

Jackie said...

Maria, I am sending you and your family strength during this time.

Jackie

Lisa Brotherton said...

Maria, I am so very sorry for your grief. There are no words, but my heart is aching for you and your family and sweet Ellie. I am praying that you continue to feel God's presence at your side.
Lisa

Heather Field said...

All four of you are in our prayers. God has a purpose in this and your faith in Him during this heart-wrenching time is something I am so thankful for. What a blessing that through your pain and sorrow you are able to lean on Jesus and accept His will. You are an incredible woman and God has an incredible plan for you. If you need to talk, you call me day or night. I am here to pray with you, pray for you or just listen to you cry. If there is anything else I can do, please let me know. You know that I can relate after losing Linh. There is no greater pain than the loss of a child. I truly feel your pain tonight and I wish I was there to hug you and hold you. Blessings, my friend. God has a plan for your family, this baby & your time spent with her.

Tricia said...

I am praying for all of you and sending you many hugs.

Kim said...

Our hearts are breaking for you. Trust in God and he will carry you through this. We a praying for you.

Stan & Kim

April Taylor said...

Oh Maria, I am so, so sorry. I wish I had the words to prop you and your family up. I am so sad for you guys. I am sending you love and hugs and wishes for a safe and speedy journey home.

Love April T.

Rachel said...

Maria, I am so sorry. Ellie and your family will be in our prayers...you can be sure of that.

Suzanne said...

Oh, my dear. Maria, I am so deeply sorry. I'm holding you and your family in my heart, and sending you strength when you need it most, and peace when you're ready for it. I wish there was something I could write to lift your pain away. But I know that you have to live with and through this pain on your own time.

Take care of yourselves,
Suzanne

Anita said...

Dear Maria, Kevin and Josh - First, we love you guys and please know we are praying for you and for this precious baby girl. I know you didn't make this decision without much prayer and tears as you've already shared. There are so many things these last few months have held that we just don't understand either. There's more I need to share with you as well that I haven't even had the emotional strength to deal with, but as you are doing now.....we can continue to trust in THE ONE who holds it all together and that He really is at work even in the midst of what just does not make sense.

We'll talk when you get back. Love you much! ~Anita

Mom to 2 Angels said...

Maria-
I was out of town when you posted. I am so sorry to hear that you have had to battle with such tough decisions. My prayers are with you as you travel home today.

Andrea

Anonymous said...

This is what I meant. You are truly inspirational and all my love and prayers are with you and your family.

Margaret and Tom said...

Maria, I think of you and your family often, especially Josh, hope you are doing ok and I wanted to let you know you continue to be in my thoughts and prayers!
Margaret