Sunday, June 1, 2008

The Princess doesn't seem to feel well

I can't put my finger on it, but I don't think "The Princess" felt well today. She had her eyes open a large part of the time we were with her, but she was fussy, had the hiccups, burped (yes, she can!!), didn't want a pacifier and didn't seem to want to eat.

Today we didn't have our interpreter or coordinator with us. We had the routine down so when we got there, I went to her room. The caregiver made a motion for me to wait a bit. When she came out with her, she was awake and she had the hiccups.

We went out to the covered shelter area and visited with her a while and took some photos. She did a good job of looking at us and seemed fascinated with Kevin. She wouldn't take her eyes of him when he held her. She wasn't quite so into Josh or I today, for some reason. During one period she was quite fussy and then let out a burp leading me to believe that maybe her tummy isn't feeling so well. Ironically, I awoke with an upset stomach. I took some Pepto this morning and it's better but still doesn't feel just "right". We've thought about what I might have eaten, but I haven't eaten anything different from Kevin or Josh. It's much better, but at one point this morning, I was concerned about getting to go to visit.

We did notice that she had exceptional head strength today holding her head up and looking around by herself. She was griping our fingers so hard at one point that the tips of her fingers were white. She also has seemed to have some difficulty getting her left eye (right if you are facing her) open as wide as the other. Not sure about that. It might be normal, but we'll want to check on it for sure.

And so, while in all these photos she seems "fine" and "happy", there were so many more that she didn't, including the one where, after she ate just a bit she spit it all back out. I tried to get her to eat (and she is a champion eater), and she just wouldn't. I finally gave up and took it to the caregiver to tell her she wouldn't eat. The caregiver only speaks Russian, I think, but she took her and was talking to her calling her, get this, "Princess". :-) Her bottle wasn't as hot as normal, and I'm not sure, if with our recent formula purchase if she has a different kind or more or something. I just got the feeling she didn't feel well.

So... now I'm a bit anxious about not visiting tomorrow. It might be best, though, to not get her up and stirring about. I'll be sure to talk with Aliya tomorrow when E. and B. go over and see if she can check on her and report back.

After the orphanage, we went "sight-seeing" but I'll cover that on my other blog.















Interestingly enough, while we were there today, the U.S. Airforce servicemen and women were there bringing donations. Kevin spent a while talking to some of them. It was SO COOL to be able to talk English with them. :-) They brought a great deal of things for the orphanage. It's so cool to see another side of the military that doesn't often get portrayed back home.
We also got to me K's hubby and daughter and spend more time with K, K and I and their babies. I know that I will be forever connected with these moms that I met in an orphanage on the other side of the world and will want to continue to follow the blossoming of their children once we all get home!

2 comments:

Hilary Marquis said...

Maria,

Ellie reminds me so much of Anara :) I'll always look at each new baby and wonder what if?...Enjoy your little angel.

Khakismum said...

Sorry The Princess is not feeling well. It must be heart wrenching. But if it is the formula she will be better in a day or so! She is such a cutie pie and y'all look so happy with her. Congratulations on your Princess.